Under general supervision, the Telecommunications Installation Technician reports to the Operations Manager, FDL Communications, and is responsible for deploying, monitoring, maintaining and repairing fiber optic plant, equipment and network assets.
- Establishes communications systems by installing, operating, and maintaining telecommunications and data network circuits and equipment.
- Responsible for fostering member engagement, promoting productive interactions among all contacts, strengthening regional service delivery and developing new service opportunities.
- Helps plan network and subscriber installations by studying customer orders, plans, manuals, and technical specifications; ordering and gathering equipment, supplies, materials, and tools, assessing installation site; preparing an installation diagram.
- Installs subscriber outside/inside home wiring, residential gateways, set-top boxes and other subscriber network elements.
- Establishes telecommunication and data networks by running, pulling, terminating, and splicing cables; installing telecommunications equipment, routers, switches, multiplexors, cable trays, and alarm systems; building ironwork and ladder racks; establishing connections; programming circuits; establishing connections and integrations; following industry standards; activating remote access tools; coordinating with contractors.
- Verifies service by testing circuits, equipment, and alarms; identifying, correcting, or escalating problems.
- Documents network by labeling and routing equipment and cables; recording configuration diagrams and specifications.
- Maintains network by troubleshooting and repairing outages; testing network back-up procedures; updating documentation.
- Maintains customer rapport by listening to and resolving concerns and answering questions.
- Maintains safe work environment by following codes, standards, and legal regulations.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock, placing orders, and verifying receipt.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading technical publications.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Prepare, assemble, install and test core transport and network equipment at the service center, in the lab and in the field.
- Coordinate preparation and field strategies for deployment and evaluation.
- Responsible for setting up related connectivity between and among local networks as directed by project management.
- Troubleshoot connectivity problems and errors and perform the necessary repair, replacement and maintenance of fiber, cables, equipment, etc.
- Perform ongoing monitoring, including on-call schedules, for all work expectations.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with project staff, members and stakeholders, particularly in the field.
- Perform within the parameters set by board authority including agency mission, policies, planning, budgets and executive management.
- Department uniform is required and provided to the employee, which must be worn during scheduled work hours unless prior arrangements have been made with management.
- Must attend all mandatory department trainings.
- Ensures confidentiality of financial records and all records for employees and/or clients.
- Displays a responsive and professional manner in promptly responding to all requests, complaints, and problems.
- Recognizes that each employee is a representative of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and is responsible for demonstrating courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to the needs of all others, including visitors and co-workers.
- Represents the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and the department in a positive and professional manner in the community.
- Required to maintain proper attendance including reporting to work on time in accordance with applicable policies.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as deemed necessary.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds is required.
- Walking, standing, bending, stooping, climbing, pushing, pulling are required.
- Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, including work in adverse weather conditions.
- Class D Driver’s License required and must be insurable under Fond du Lac’s insurance requirements.
- High school diploma or equivalency is required.
- Minnesota Power Limited Certification is required, if not certified at the time of hire must become certified within 4 years from hire, and maintain certification for the duration of employment.
- 1 year of experience in cable installation/repair is required. Experience with optical fiber preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in using job-related tools and equipment is required.
- Knowledge of computer applications to include word processing, databases and/or data entry, spreadsheets, and Microsoft Outlook is required.
- Experience in working with customers and teams is required.
- Knowledge of telecommunications infrastructure is preferred.
- Experience in working with tribal communities is preferred.
- Extensive travel and remote work within and or around the Fond du Lac Reservation.
- Must live within 60 minutes of the Fond du Lac Tribal Center.
- Position requires on call availability.
- Operations are conducted seven days a week; 24 hours a day; and on holidays.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
- Ability to work independently and establish priorities is required.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is required.
- Ability to establish professional and harmonious working relationships on all projects and with all parties involved.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Fond du Lac Reservation’s Personnel Policies.
- Subject to pre-employment and annual background checks.
- Travel is required.
This position is eligible for our comprehensive benefit plan, which includes medical, dental, retirement, optional life insurance, optional disability coverage and more. For detailed information please click here.
NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE
PLEASE INCLUDE WITH APPLICATION YOUR CREDENTIALS AND RESUME
APPLY TO: Fond du Lac Human Resources
1720 Big Lake Road
Cloquet, MN 55720