Natural Resources Young Adult (18-25yo) Crew (3)
Bad River Band of the Lake Superior Tribe of Chippewa Indians
Summary: The Young Adult Crew is seeking applicants from both Bad River and Red Cliff. The Natural Resources Young Adult Crew will assist in a variety of natural resources projects within the Bad River Reservation, Red Cliff Reservation, and ceded territories. The Natural Resources Young Adult Crew will assist the Mashkiiziibii (Bad River) Natural Resources Department, Red Cliff Treaty Natural Resources Division, and other natural resources agencies in a wide range of indoor and outdoor activities. This position is a limited-term position, working 40 hrs./wk. for up to 12 weeks. This position is non-exempt (or hourly).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include all or a portion of the following.
- Assisting with manoomin (wild rice) enhancement monitoring and revitalization
- Assisting with forestry inventorying, fire/fuels projects, and other forest/habitat management activities;
- Assisting with wildlife monitoring and building nest boxes.
- Preparing a site to be burned
- Completing Basic Landscape Fire Training.
- Completing boater safety and other safety trainings (such as basic first aid).
- Completing chainsaw training
- Assisting with trail and park maintenance.
- Small building construction projects
- Assisting with gardening and food sovereignty projects.
- Assisting with hatchery maintenance and fishery surveys.
- Assisting with water quality monitoring, flow measurements, and wetland plant surveys.
- Assisting with invasive species management and monitoring projects.
- Shadowing tribal leadership and/or natural resources staff.
- Collecting and recording field observations and applicable measures and entering field data collected into databases.
- Completing pre- and post-surveys designed to evaluate the NR Young Adult Crew Program.
- Writing an article summarizing work experience to be distributed in tribal newsletters, on Facebook, and other outlets.
- Presenting about work experience at a community event.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the direct supervisor and/or Natural Resources Director.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Preferred: Experience with natural resources management, GPS/GIS skills, and some computer experience preferred. Experience working with tribal communities and/or Native American issues is preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities: Required:
Applicant must be 18 to 25 years old to be eligible for this position. Must be self-motivated, trustworthy, dependable, and willing to work long hours occasionally. Boat and ATV experience and safety training preferred. Subject to background security checks. Drug-Free Workplace in accordance with the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988, P.L. 100-690 and the Bad River Tribe’s Employee Policy & Procedure Handbook. Indian Preference will be given in accordance with P.L. 93-638 and the Tribe’s Preference Policy.
This position is contingent on ability to pass a background check required. This position requires a regular background check to be run.
Proven ability to communicate effectively through oral presentations and in daily interactions with peers, supervisors, and a diverse public is preferred.
Problem solving at times and remain flexible and open minded.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be physically able to perform all job duties. Walking, standing, bending, stooping and occasional lifting up to 25lbs and/or carrying for short distances required. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position will require inside and outside work
Drug-Free Workplace in accordance with the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988, P.L. 100-690 and the Bad River Tribe’s Employee Policy & Procedures Handbook. Indian Preference will be given in accordance with P.L. 93-638 and the Tribe’s Preference Policy.
Send Application and Resume To: Bad River Tribe Attn: Human Resources P.O. Box 39 Odanah, WI 54861 http://www.badriver-nsn.gov/