Summary: The primary purpose of the job positon is to assist in the day-to-day accounting functions of the facility in accordance with current acceptable accounting and cost reimbursement principles relating
to health care and the clinic operation as may be directed by the Director.
PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS in performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees of the Fort Mojave Health Center are expected to conform to the following:
- Uphold all principles of confidentiality and patient care to the fullest extent.
- Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standard of the healthcare industry.
- Interact in an honest, trustworthy and dependable manner with patients, employees and vendors.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Maintain current insurable driver’s license.
- Complex with all Fort Mojave Indian Tribe and Fort Mojave Health Center policies and procedures, as well as all applicable laws.
- Assist in implementing the day-to-day functions of the Inpatient Billing department. Implement written policies and procedures that govern the accounting functions of the inpatient facility.
- Supervises the business office staff, in accordance with office policy, position description and applicable laws.
- Assure that patient information records are appropriately filled. Record payments received to appropriate log.
- Post payments received to appropriate patient’s accounts. Process and post charge slips to patient accounts.
- Assist in balancing accounts receivable by running tapes, verifying computer printouts, etc.
- Prepare and mail statements.
- Make written and oral reports/recommendations to the Director concerning patient accounting functions.
- Perform secretarial functions as necessary or directed. Assist in reconciling statements as directed.
- Assist in standardizing the methods in which work will be accomplished. Assist in preparing financial and statistical reports as directed.
- Develop and utilize computer reports and output.
- Assist in preparing and implementation of changes in our accounting system as necessary or directed. Monitor and collect accounts receivables. Report delinquent accounts to the Director.
- Assist in preparing monthly financial statements to include preparing monthly balance sheets, income reports, etc. as required or directed.
- Perform functions of computer/data processor as necessary or directed. Data entry on all patient charges and refunds.
- Responsible for computer billing, mailing, recording and collection. Data entry on all Medicare part A & B billing charges and supplies.
- Maintain billing and payment log and complete all crossover billing as necessary or directed.
- Responsible for completing all Medicare billing forms and back-up information required. CIF’s turnaround documents and co-insurance from Medicare.
- Responsible for keeping in contact with responsible parties involved as to payments due to the status of their accounts.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to understand, evaluate and implement technology to improve operations.
- Four years medical billing experience plus one year of billing supervisory experience or equivalency required
- CPT and ICD10 coding, medical terminology and demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills also required. Bachelor’s degree in business, Health or Finance area plus billing supervisory preferred.
- Include minimum education, technical training, and/or experience preferred to perform the job. At least 4 to 7 years of relevant health care experience preferred. Advanced knowledge of UB- 92 and HCFA 1500, EOB interpretation, CPT and ICD-10 codes. Knowledge of medical coding and federal, state and payer guidelines preferred. Knowledge of Electronic Health Records and/or Electronic practice Management.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the work-day.
- Must be able to speak and write the English language.
- Must be able to cope with mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Must possess sight/hearing senses or utilize prosthetics that will enable these sensed to function adequately so that the requirements of this position will be fully met.
- Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity and the ability to work effectively with patients, personnel and support agencies.
- Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability.
- Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset and hostile people at all times within the facility.
- Must be able to lift, push, and pull minimum of fifty (50) pounds.
- Must be able to assist in the evacuation of patients should it become necessary.
The Indian Preference Act will be enforced. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. The Fort Mojave Indian Tribe reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.