ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
Kaibab Band of Paiute Indians
This position is responsible for coordinating and implementing projects that support the Economic Development Plan of the Kaibab Paiute Tribe. This position requires a high level of responsibility and motivation.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work closely with the Tribal Council and Economic Development Committee to plan and carry out the goals and objectives of the Kaibab Paiute Tribe.
• Manage current projects successfully by establishing priorities and goals to a successful completion. Work to advance economic growth on and off the Kaibab Paiute Reservation with new, sustainable business opportunities.
• Consult with and provide assistance to current Tribal Enterprises. Manage current projects successfully by establishing priorities and goals to a successful completion.
• Work collaboratively with the Kaibab Paiute Economic Development Committee and Tribal Council. Establish and maintain professional relationships and diplomatically represent the Kaibab Paiute Tribe with external economic development agencies.
• Work closely with supervisor, Tribal Administrator regarding timely execution/status and completion of projects.
• Consult with and provide assistance to entrepreneurs seeking to establish business activities on the Kaibab Paiute Reservation. Represent the Tribe at various agencies and committees.
• Prepare report and budgets, monthly. Maintain project files, records, and databases. • Review contracts and proposals before submission or execution.
• Develop, maintain, and implement department policies and procedures. Develop, edit, and update various forms of communication, including letters, reports, newsletters, and websites.
• Resolve problems and issues affecting economic development and/or any of its employees or businesses and direct measures to improve effectiveness and efficiency.
• Coordinates resources and services to maximize funding and funding opportunities.
• Research, collect, and analyze information related to economic development functions (for use in presentations, reports or other documents).
• Act as liaison between the Tribal Council and other government agencies on trust land initiatives.
• Troubleshoot and fix issues like plumbing, basic electrical installations, HVAC systems; and operate outdoor equipment like tractors, lawn mowers, ATV, etc.
• Attend all required meetings, i.e. Tribal Council, Staff Meetings, Directors Meetings.
• All other duties as assigned.
• A minimum of three (3) years economic development experience, five (5) years related administrative experience, and two (2) years supervisory experience required; OR any equivalent combination of experience from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been achieved.
• Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business or a related field is required, M.B.A. preferred.
• Business/planning experience required; grant writing experience is highly desired.
• Ability to work cooperatively with a wide range of people of differing backgrounds, skills and knowledge levels, and a willingness to train, educate, and build up those around you.
• Must have the ability to build systems and procedures to facilitate accuracy and understanding.
• Must understand basic business and know how to maximize Inventory Turns, Profit Margins, Gross Margins, and must be able to compartmentalize areas of the business.
• Ability to speak and write clearly, concisely and effectively
• Must have the ability to multi-task (literally managing multiple businesses all at the same time) and establish priorities for each.
• Ability to analytically process information to come up with out of the box solutions
• Must have the ability to solve practical problems and deal with variable situations.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, have basic understanding of plumbing, electrical, HVAC; as well as operate basic outdoor equipment such as tractors, side by side ATV, lawn mowers, weed eaters, pressure washers, etc.
• Working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures, but more importantly a working knowledge of business operations.
• Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments.
• Ability to work well under pressure. All duties as assigned.
DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE POLICY: The Kaibab Band of Paiute Indians has a zero-tolerance drug use policy. This position requires pre-employment and continued random drug testing.
Employment applications are available online at www.kaibabpaiute-nsn.gov or at the Tribal Affairs Building located on 2 North Pipe Springs Road Fredonia, AZ 86022. Interested applicants must return completed applications for consideration. For more information, contact the Human Resource Director at (928) 643-7245. Only completed applications will be accepted. All applications must have a copy of the following to be considered: requested education requirement verifications, driver’s license, 36 month driving record, and two completed fingerprint cards (available at the Human Resource Office).
THE KAIBAB PAIUTE TRIBE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND ADHERES TO THE INDIAN PREFERENCE ACT